George & Guitar

George & Guitar
I live to play!

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

New Music for the Psalms

I'm currently working on two Psalm settings. I have finished Psalm 78: Do Not Forget which is the setting for the Feast of the Exalation of the Cross on Sept. 12. And I have finished the refrain for Psalm 25: Remember Your Mercies, O Lord. I'm still deciding on how to proceed with the verse of Psalm 25. I think that I will try to have a metered melody, but that may change if there is no regular phonetic rhythm to follow in the text.

For Psalm 78, I chose to write a simple psalm tone for the verses because they were so irregular in English. Those Latin monks sure knew what they were doing when they invented Psalm tones. They are very useful particularly when one cannot paraphrase the text to fit a particular melodic idea.

No comments: