George & Guitar

George & Guitar
I live to play!

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Pro-Life Thoughts (continued)

Yesterday, I posted some thoughts on the anniversary of Roe v. Wade. I wanted to expand a little on this topic and share some resources that are available for those who have been part of an abortion or those who have been affected in some way.

First of all, as a Catholic I find myself in a peculiar category because as I mentioned before, I stand for life in all cases. This includes euthanasia and capital punishment as well. So I find myself at odds with conservatives because of my death penalty stance; and, at the same time, I am at odds with liberals over my position on abortion. While my political sympathies definitely run towards the conservative side of the spectrum I choose to be a Catholic first and a capitalist second. Where the two value systems may seem to conflict I choose to give the benefit of the doubt to the Church.

This ties directly into two main thoughts that I have been considering for some time. The first being, "How do I minister effectively to those who have experienced or participated in an abortion?" This is a very delicate topic because of the intense emotions that people harbor long after the deed has been done. In order to answer this question I have come across some wonderful people who are involved with a group called Project Rachael. It is a post-abortive healing ministry. Information on this ministry can be found here: http://www.hopeafterabortion.com/ What I find most remarkable about this ministry that it has continued to grow and reach out to more than just women. In a recent article for the The Colombian (the official magazine for the Knights of Columbus) Project Rachael has started to reach out to men who have been affected by abortion on some level. This has been a controversial move and it has not been totally supported by some of the women involved. However, I think it is a good first step toward recognizing that abortion traumatizes all involved men and women alike.

Secondly, I have been thinking about another question that does not have an easy answer. What effect has Roe v. Wade had upon our society? This is not an easy question to answer because there are many factors that can influence attitudes, values and the opinions of people at large. Furthermore, society as a whole is not a homogeneous group. There are many factions and sub-factions that have had differing reactions to Roe v. Wade. However, I think I can safely say that since Roe v. Wade our society as a whole has become more callous and violent both in a literal and vicarious sense of the word. It seems that we have turned from pursuing truth and beauty in our popular culture and replaced it with the pursuit of shock value and titillation. I understand that correlation is not definitive proof of causation; yet, I sometimes wonder if we underestimate the profound effect that fateful decision from 1972 has had on our culture.

I would like to close with the thought that I do believe that all is not lost. There is still hope. Wherever and whenever we can stand for life in spite of the difficulties, we can bring a small ray of hope and joy into this world of darkness. God can use our small efforts to change hearts and minds. The most important thing is to have faith; and, as Pope John Paul II said, "Do not be afraid!"

PS Don't forget to check out the wonderful Pro-Life music available at http://www.topcatholicsongs.com/

No comments: